The festive season is almost upon us, and the last thing you would expect is a dental emergency to confront you when having a great time with your friends and family. Dental emergencies are never pleasant because they habitually happen during the most inconvenient times. You may not be aware of what you can do when affected by a dental emergency because of the confusion prevailing on what constitutes a dental crisis and what can wait until your regular dentist can see you.
At times you may be clear about what constitutes a dental emergency but could face challenges trying to determine when you should schedule an emergency appointment. Everyone has different thresholds of pain and discomfort. However, you must make a visit to the dentist in Scottsdale, AZ, if you are affected by any of the following symptoms:
- Significant discomfort, swelling, or uncontrolled bleeding.
- An abscess or a tooth infection is leaving you with an unpleasant taste in your mouth from pus.
- Stubborn ulcers or sores on your tongue, gums, or cheeks that don’t heal.
- A fractured or broken tooth, including a knocked-out tooth.
What Can You Do During a Dental Emergency?
It would help if you attempted to stay calm without panicking during a dental emergency while trying to call your dentist as soon as possible. If your tooth is knocked out, try to place it back into its socket. To ensure you are doing it right, hold the tooth by the crown and not the roots. If you cannot place the tooth back in its socket, you can set it or between your cheeks and gums to ensure it remains moist until you reach the dentist’s office. If the knocked-out tooth belongs to a child, call your dentist before making any attempt to replace it in the child’s mouth.
If a toothache is bothering you avoid chewing with the tooth besides keeping yourselves away from hot and cold foods and beverages if they are worsening the pain. You can use over-the-counter pain medications directed by the pharmacist while waiting to be seen by a dentist.
If you have swelling on the cheeks that doesn’t subside but is beginning to close your eye, you must contact your local emergency room. Any rapidly increasing uncontrolled swelling could be associated with an abscessed tooth and needs medical attention at the earliest.
Some Tips That Help You to Stay Away from Emergencies
Dental emergencies aren’t preventable and can affect you at any time. However, you can use the tips mentioned in this article to avoid dental emergencies as much as possible. The following tips will make it easier for you to avoid needing emergency dental care during the festive season.
- Care for your teeth and gums regardless of the time of the year or the festivities around you. Do not relax your usual behaviors and routines over the festive season, and keep in mind the dental essentials you must follow.
- Do not use your teeth to open Christmas gifts. Keep your excitement in check and use a scissor for the purpose.
- Do not chew on hard foods that may cause cracks in your teeth. Pork crackling, bones, olive pips, and popcorn kernels may be favorites during Christmas, but all can cracking your teeth.
- If you are involved in contact sports, ensure you wear a mouthguard. Use a night guard customized by your dentist if you have been told you are a bruxist victim.
- If you have any existing problems with your teeth and gums, have them fixed by the Scottsdale dentist before the festivities begin.
- Monitor your intake of sweets and sugary foods. Everyone loves these festive delicacies, but it makes sense to balance them out with other healthy foods. The winter season shouldn’t discourage you from keeping yourself hydrated.
- Maintain your routine by brushing your teeth at least twice a day and flossing without exceptions.
What Can You Do If You Encounter an Emergency during the Festivities?
Please make an appointment with emergency dentist 85254 as soon as possible, calling them directly, or even scheduling an appointment online to receive any treatment you need. The dentist is open during the festivities and will ensure you don’t continue with pain during the biggest festival of the year.
It would be sensible for you to have the contact details of emergency dental care in Scottsdale, AZ, with you at all times. Emergencies, as mentioned earlier, can strike without warning to leave you with plenty of panics. Having the details of this dentist in your possession allows you to get out of any dental emergencies for yourself or a family member.